In a previous post I briefly mentioned a prototype I had built that connected to Twitter and allowed you to supply one or many Twitter usernames. It then downloads every single Follower for the usernames you had supplied. It also allows you to extract the usernames in CSV format.
From there you can either load these into Excel for further filtering. Or if you wanted, upload them directly to your Tailored Audience List in Twitters Audience Manager. These users can then be targeted with Twitter Ads as defined in your Ad Campaign.
Configuring your Ad Campaign and setting up the Tailored Audience List is out of scope for this blog post.
The purpose of this post is to show you how to generate the necessary keys and tokens that are needed by my application to connect to Twitter.
In order for you to get the Twitter feed working with your APP you need four keys, the Consumer Key, Consumer Secret, Access Token and Access Token Secret. Below are the steps to get those 4 keys.
- Go to https://apps.twitter.com/app/new and log in, if necessary.
- Enter your desired Application Name, Description and your website address making sure to enter the full address including the http://. You can leave the callback URL empty.
- Accept the TOS and submit the form by clicking the Create your Twitter Application.
- After creating your Twitter Application click on the tab that says Keys and Access Tokens, then you have to give access to your Twitter Account to use this Application. To do this, click the Create my Access Token button.
- Lastly copy the Consumer key (API key), Consumer Secret, Access Token and Access Token Secret from the screen into our plugin’s Twitter Options page and test.
- OK, we’re done with the Twitter side of things. The next thing we need to do is to update the configuration file that ships with the application.
Configuring the application
This is straight forward. There is a file called “app.config”, it’s an XML files that contains settings with descriptions that match the Twitter definitions. All you need to do is update each value in this file to match the tokens/keys that you’ve just generated on the Twitter site.
Find some Followers!
With everything in place you can run the application. Double click the executable and input a Twitter username and click Get Followers. Depending on the number of accounts you’ve supplied and the Followers it may take some time – be patient!
It will return the Followers in a grid for you to scroll through and you can sort the grid by clicking on the column headers.
You can export every user account in the grid by clicking on the Export button if you wish. I should mention at this point the keyword feature isn’t integrated yet but there is nothing to prevent you from importing the exported file into Excel for further analysis.
This is a basic application with limited features and is pretty clunky in terms of the manual processes that are involved when retrieving Followers and exporting them for processing in either Excel/your CRM tool/Twitter Ads Manager and Tailored Audience List.
Contact me if you want a copy. I will add a download link later – it’s nearly 22:00 and I’m hitting the wall!
- Wouldn’t it be great if you could supply a system with keywords relevant to your product or service and listen in on real-time conversations in Twitter related to those keywords?
- Wouldn’t it be great if you could leverage advances in AI and machine learning to identify commercial intent in those conversations?
- Wouldn’t it be great if this system automatically collected the usernames that had sent these Tweets and automatically added them to your Tailored Audience List ?
- Wouldn’t it be great if this system automatically setup your Twitter Ads Campaign for you based on your keywords?
- Imagine this system allowed you to author Advertising Creatives to be served to those users?
Some of you will know that I have built a SaaS platform called Social Opinion which contains these features. I built it from the ground up and you can read a little more about it here. It’s a WIP but the key functionality is there. If anyone is interested in taking it for a spin then let me know!